Choosing your watch: tips for a successful purchase
Complex system of gears and wheels, the watch is now a real fashion accessory, just like jewelry. Whether you are a man or a woman, choosing a watch is not improvised, especially if you want to wear it for a long time. Here are some tips (type, size, materials) to help you buy your watch successfully.
Choose your watch by type
The watch is theessential accessory to embellish the look and style of your clothing, in a more or less discreet way. Many models are available in jewelry stores:
- mechanics No need for a battery in this type of watch, they wind up manually. The energy used comes from the tension of a spring in the barrel. Mechanical watches can also be wound automatically. The energy used comes from the swing of your wrist;
- electronic or quartz watch In these models, the quartz mineral arranged on a thin slat is activated by a battery. The quartz oscillates precisely (about 32,000 times per second), more than a mechanical watch;
- digital unlike the analog watches above, these watches have no hands. The time is displayed on an electronic dial thanks to liquid crystals and the energy is provided by a button battery;
- connected Smartwatches : connected smartwatches use an operating system (OS) like smartphones and computers. Linked to your smartphone or a SIM card, they are therefore equipped with applications (SMS / call, Bluetooth, heart rate, etc.).) and a battery, usually lithium;
- pocket watch The more you wear your watch, the more it will be “resin”: dating back to the 1500’s / 1600’s, these watches are coming back in fashion. These are manually wound with a wheel (at 12 o’clock on the dial).
Choosing a watch according to its size
The choice of your watch depends on your taste, of course, but also on your clothing style, your use and the size you are interested in. Most of the existing models are now produced in many different materials formats. Timepieces (with stopwatches), which are sought after by sportsmen in particular, are often larger, with thick buttons. The so-called “skeleton” watches, which allow you to see the inside of the mechanism and its wheels, are also quite large.
Select the diameter of your dial according to the size of your wrist so that your watch is perfectly adapted to your build:
- small size, 14 cm around the wrist or less: 24/28 mm for a woman and 34/36 mm for a man;
- classic format, from 15 to 18 cm around the wrist: 36 mm for a woman and 38 to 42 mm for a man;
- large size, 19 cm and more around the wrist: choose a dial from 46 to 48 mm for a woman and from 50 to 54 mm for a man.
The style of your watch will also influence the diameter of its dial: the more the inside of the watch will be worked or will let see the internal mechanisms the more the models will be big and wide. On the contrary, minimalist and classic watches will be smaller and thinner. Beware, the more your watch will be flashy, the more you will have to’The more eye-catching and remarkable the watch, the more likely you are to catch thieves who are experts in the field snatch and grab.
The different materials of waterproof watches and straps
L’waterproofness of a watch The watch and its strap meet standards (ISO 64425 or ISO 2281). Tested and guaranteed by the manufacturer, not all waterproof watches are equally resistant: some are only resistant to water’to some water projections (splashes, rain) when others can descend to incredible depths. One of them has reached a depth of 3,900 meters without flinching !
Remember to check (or have a watchmaker or jeweler check) that the gasket on your watch is secure before diving. Several materials make up waterproof watches and bracelets, depending on your use:
- l’stainless steel remains one of the best choices because it does not deform under the pressure of water, resists well to time and corrosion;
- the resin Resin : rather resistant to water infiltration and a good quality/price ratio, resin deforms quickly under pressure;
- polypropylene Polypropylene watches are very resistant to shocks and are light, but they are quickly damaged by water pressure.
The bottom of your case must also be well closed and waterproof (screwed or glued). In addition, for a watch more durable over time, prefer the round dials, more suitable for diving. To offer (or give yourself) a high-end watch, think about Omega secure watches by the Chronext certificate, guaranteeing its products for 24 months.
Need an original and useful gift idea for your man or woman ? Think of the watch box, the collector’s essential These true guardians of time will protect your most beautiful accessories with elegance and discretion.